From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:21:34 -0400

To celiac Listserv:

First. Thank you for the dozens of replies.  (I think I'm up to about 50 replies! Wow!)
Second....Here's the latest

Doc's secretary....There was no point in making a scene in doc's waiting room, when secretary turned me down for a letter & scripts.  I've known her and him for years.  I phoned her back with supporting information.  Got a gluten-free travel letter today, more geared to allow me to take gf food around. (I may have trouble bringing in turkey and buffalo jerky, but that's another story.)

Scripts... I'll take the printouts that you get with mailorder drugs, which have the chemical names and directions.  I also found copies of last year's scripts from before they went computerized.  And I have a list from Medco's website that shows they're all current.  (Several members suggested Medco's site. Some said U.S. scripts are useless.)

I'm taking the original bottles, erring on the side of caution... Responses from list were evenly divided between taking original bottles and mixed pill containers.  And both groups feel strongly.  A number of you pull the labels off and put them on another card or on smaller bottles.   Someone's aspirin got confiscated in Mexico. (Maybe the security guy had a headache????)

Medco couldn't help me get new labels or smaller bottles. To get smaller bottles, I'd have to get new 30 day scrips for CVS to fill, and then redo them back to 90 day supply, to go back to mailorder from Medco after the trip.  Double script work for the doctor (hah!) and triple the co-pay for me. Not doing it.  Someone travels with bubble packs, but again, I'd have to get new scripts and pay more.

A number of people said to call the consulates of the countries.  If I was going to stay in the country on my own for awhile, I would.  But all I'm doing is getting on and off a ship.  I tend to agree with listmates that HAL has to preach what the government says...so you can't blame them if your meds get confiscated.

Some said that if you put all of your meds and breathing machines in one bag, it does NOT count as a carry-on.  But nothing else can be in the bag.  You might want to check with airline.

Here are some sites from listmates who looked them up, and a quote from the state dept. (Thank you.)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/turkey/practical-information/health   This is what Lonely Planet says - a very good travel book.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html  US State Department information

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/turkey.htm   CDC website on Turkey

State Deparment website:

Insurance, Medicare & Medicaid, Medical Evacuation
Obtaining medical treatment and hospital care abroad can be expensive, and medical evacuation to the U.S. can cost more than $50,000. Note that U.S. medical insurance is generally not accepted outside the United States, nor do the Social Security Medicare and Medicaid programs provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the United States.
If your insurance policy does not cover you abroad, it is a good idea to consider purchasing a short-term policy that does. There are health insurance policies designed specifically to cover travel. Many travel agents and private companies offer insurance plans that will cover health care expenses incurred overseas including emergency services such as medical evacuations. The names of some of the companies offering short-term health and emergency assistance policies are listed on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website athttp://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1215.html.
Bringing Medications or Filling Prescriptions Abroad
A traveler going abroad with a preexisting medical problem should carry a letter from the attending physician, describing the medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic names of prescribed drugs. Any medications being carried overseas should be left in their original containers and be clearly labeled. Travelers should check with the foreign embassy of the country they are visiting to make sure any required medications are not considered to be illegal narcotics. (A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. is available on the Department of State’s website at http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/rls/dpl/32122.htm. Foreign embassy and consulate contact informa