From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:55:21 -0400

Cauliflower was on sale this week. Looked really good. I didn't feel like looking through my cookbooks, and I don't like it unless it's doctored up. But  I decided to try my own version of an au gratin, and it worked out.

One large head of cauliflower, discard the leaves and stem (obviously), cut up white stuff into large  florettes, rinse and steam for about 15-20 minutes. Don't overcook them. They're going to be baked. Drain.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put cooked (not over done) cauliflower in a baking dish...big enough to fit whatever your amount is. I used a glass dish, and didn't grease it. Drizzle on one 8 oz can of tomato sauce (I use no-salt added). Sprinkle generously with garlic powder. I tossed in a light sprinkle of dried basil. Cover generously with shredded cheese...your favorite, I used low-fat mozzarella. I used a couple of large handfuls. Sprinkle with gluten-free breadcrumbs. I used Hol Grain Crispy Chicken Coating Mix.

I'm sure you can add your favorite herbs, such as oregano, to give it an Italian kick, and not the basil. I don't think it will matter. Parsley would work, too.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese melts and turns slightly brown.

We had this with baked tilapia (a little olive oil and Old Bay Seasoning) and roasted vegetables (mushrooms, carrots, red peppers, fresh garlic, salt and pepper, and olive oil) for dinner tonight, and I'm going to use the rest of the cauliflower as a low carb lasagne (no noodles) for lunch tomorrow. It was that good.  So I'm guessing that one large head of cauliflower will serve 6 generous side dish portions., judging from my leftovers. And it might even be good enough that a kid would eat it. With enough cheese, they might not see the cauliflower!

Lin