VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:06:02 -0700
I teach part-time, and I use Blackboard with Jaws. Blackboard is
accessible, but it takes a while to get used to, even for sighted users.
Some things don't seem very intuitive to me, and others are fine, but
unnecesarily clunky.

the best way to learn it is to use ctrl+home to get to the top of the
screen, then to arrow all the way down to the bottom. Have your friend
do this every time he clicks on anything until he gets the hang of
what's on the screen and where new things appear. Generally speaking,
the new information appears near the bottom, but this may vary,
depending on the way his campus has set up Blackboard.

I teach at two institutions. Both are using the same version of
Blackboard. I have few problems with Blackboard at the community
college; things are nice and stable there. At the university, however, I
find lots of frames and get some losing of focus. Since my Java got
updated, Firefox does much better than it used to, but Internet Explorer
is only slightly easier to work with.

As far as the general layout, there are headings that help you jump from
area to area. Then you arrow-down from the headings to find the options.
What's confusing is that the options appear to be repeated. You might
hear, "link Notifications" and "link Expand Notifications." If you press
enter on "expand notifications," you get a list of options, like maybe
Create or Edit. If you click on "Notifications," you may get the same
list of options, or you may open up a new content area near the bottom
of the screen. I haven't found a consistent way of predicting which is
going to happen.

Again, where the new information appears and how to find it with Jaws
varies. At the community college, the new options, like Create and Edit,
appear right below the "Expand Notification" option, and when it's time
to do something big, like typing the subject and content of a new
notification, I use heading navigation to jump to a Create Notification
heading near the bottom of the screen.

At the university, however, the new information in both cases appears in
a frame near the bottom of the screen, though in different places, and
Jaws doesn't jump to it when I press the letter M. The other odd thing
that happens at the university is that Jaws doesn't always announce
links as links, but using left-mouse simulation works.

There are many parts of Blackboard I haven't worked with. A student sent
me homework through Blackboard last Fall, and I never found it. I don't
have enough experience with it to know if the problem is me or
Blackboard. I've actually found good help information online. In some
cases, it's posted by the IT departments at universities. In other
cases, it's the official Blackboard help. I type strings like,
"Receiving notifications, text messages, blackboard." Most of the time,
the steps are very clear, so I can explore the screens and use virtual
find to locate text strings.

I don't know how helpful this was.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]