From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 03:54:58 +0100
Well, the stance of one raw foodist guru is that the toxins from cooked foods get stored in the fat-cells, and that, presumably, eating cooked foods stimulates the body into producing hormones etc. so as to lay on extra fat-layers/extra weight for those toxins. I'm pretty much convinced of this theory as cooked animal food, especially cooked animal fat,  also gives me a hangover-like effect the next day, whereas cooked plant food or raw food do not cause such problems. Perhaps there is something in cooked animal food, such as damaged proteins , that causes me particular harm?

Another possibility could be that cooked foods could be more easily absorbed than raw foods, but only in ineffective, harmful ways. Digesting foods, after all, requires a whole  extra combination of enzymes and bacteria as well, so that improper digestion can cause problems like obesity. Even Wrangham admits that, in this day and age, cooked-food diets lead to weight-gain and obesity, and that raw food diets might have  a point. Though his bizarre utterings, such as the claim that raw foodists would need to chew raw meats for 5.7 to 6.2 hours(!) a day in order to get enough calories, make him a laughing-stock.

Geoff