From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:22:35 -0500
Hi, all.

Please forgive me, since I know this antenna  has been discussed on the list
before in various forms.  But, I am needing some basic info from the
perspective of someone who has actually used one.

Here's the deal:

As some of you know, for reasons I can't quite understand, I have been
having trouble getting my W8AMZ 80-meter half sloper to work well on 80
meters.  The SWR's for most of the band are at least 3 or 4 to 1, except for
about 100  KHZ between 3.850 and 3.950,  where they are below 2.1 to 1.
Based on the better luck I'm having with the 160-meter sloper made by the
same company, I'm convinced that there is either something wrong with the
antenna, or something in my installation that is throwing things off.  Tom
(W8AMZ) himself has actually volunteered to come to my home QTH sometime to
try to assess things.  He is about an hour and a half from me, so it's a
trip that will have to be planned by him when he has the free time.

Since I'm not sure when that trip will occur, I'm thinking about other
alternative antennas that might be easily put up  and relatively
inexpensive.  I don't have a lot of room to put up another antenna, but I
probably could handle  an antenna that was approximately 100 feet in length.
Again, my main band of concern is 80 meters.

I believe that some folks on here have used an antenna called the Cobra, or
Cobra Lite.  If you have used this antenna, could you please describe it to
me, tell me how you put it up, state any special installation considerations
I might need to take into account, and tell me whether it worked well on 80
meters?

I am not sure of the price of that type of antenna, but I'm sure I could get
that info from the Cobra web site via a google search.

I simply don't want to spend money on yet another antenna, unless I have
some assurance from someone who has actually used it, that the antenna might
be a good alternative for me.

Thanks, and 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ