From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 00:44:50 -0700
no difference in terms of access.
Physically, the UV5R plus has a metallic grill for the speaker, and that's
the only physical difference between the plus and non-plus version.

The units being shipped right now have firmware version BFB291 or 293.
They all have the same speech capabilities...with newer versions only adding
additional language options.
Also, double check those listings...the 58 dollar unit will likely come with
the 3800MA battery instead of the 1800MA battery...  Either that or it will
have some extra accessory or something that makes it slightly higher priced.
Beyond that, the UV5R and the several UV5R x shall we call them are all the
same radio with very slight cosmetic differences, but not firmware or
software or operational differences.
To date, I know of the UV5R, the UV5R C, the UV5R E, and the UV5R plus.
All the same radio.

73
Colin, V A6BKX