From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:10:19 -0400
I redirected this back to the listserv.

Maurice, I'm glad you were able to get an antenna up.  Check in when you
can.  Perhaps on some days conditions will be better and several of us will
be able to copy you well.  In my first 5 years living in the Washington
area, I was on the east side, on the tenth floor of a 17-story apartment
building.  Following the lead of an earlier blind ham, K3NPV/K4YF, I ran a
fishing pole out the window with about 40 feet of wire hanging down.  My
receiving was fantastic to the east, north and south, but not to the west.
As a transmit antenna it was somewhat efficient, with a tuner and with the
equipment grounded to a convector.  On ten meters I worked much of Europe
and Africa, and at one time I worked Thailand and Siberia on 10 or 15.  You
should have little trouble working places like Hawaii, Alaska, Japan, China,
Siberia, etc.  CW will work better than phone, if you can do it.  Enjoy the
hobby!
73, Lloyd, W3IUU