From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 16:24:09 -0700
Robert,

The natural alignment for patitions with MS Dos & Win95 is
all the Primary partitions are lined up first, (ie: C & D) and
then the extended partitions are assigned letters, (ie: E & F).

In forcing the drives out of their natural assignment, you are only
setting yourself for ongoing problems.  They are always going
to try to resume their proper alignment.   It would be easier to
move the data from your current F drive, (the old D drive), to
the current D drive.  Accept this assignment of letters and
your life will be easier...  it should not take too long to move the
data around...    especially with four drives to accept the data
during the moving.

However, if you are bent on reassigning drive letters, here is the
way to edit your REGISTRY to do it.  Using RegEdit =  Open:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Enum\ ESDI\ Generic_IDE_DISK_TYPE47_

  Subbed below this directory will be two subdirectories.  Each one
represents a hard drive.

You can edit the item named CURRENT DRIVE LETTER ASSIGNMENT
 with the letters you wish assigned to each drive.  This will "force"
 Win95 to reassign your drive letters.  Close your registry editor when
 finished, and restart your computer immediately for this change to take
 effect.

 I highly recommend that you backup your registry before doing this, just
 in case you have a problem...

Hope this helps....

   Bob