From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:16:01 -0400

To my fellow celiac listmates (cc'd to a few others):

Most of you who know me, know I'm a very careful shopper, but boy, did I almost goof up today.

I'm in the process of cooking in both ovens and all four burners, to freeze portions to take on my boat for a week long sail with several other boats.  We bring parts of meals from one boat to the other at night.

At Whole Foods today, I bought what I thought was two of the same thing.   Gluten Free Garden Pilaf, quinoa, millet and vegetable medley, by Garlic Clove Foods. That one is gluten-free.   I picked up two packets that were in the same box and put them in the same pot.  Good thing I didn't stir the pasta and kasha with the same spoon, or all three pots would be contaminated.

Only because I log in all of the food I pre-cook, freeze and take for each year's little cruise, did I notice that the second packet, which looked nearly identical...was bulgur wheat, quinoa and vegetable medley.  someone must of stacked them together in the same shelf box, and I just took what I thought was two of the same.  Since the packets are nearly identical, I just snipped off the tops of both and poured them into the pot.

Good thing I caught this.  I'll be scrubbing that pot and the slotted spoon really well when I'm done with my other cooking.  And I'm soooo glad I didn't eat the stuff...half way across the Chesapeake Bay.  I would have blamed someone else's cooking, for sure...although I rarely eat what everyone else brings, even if they say it's gf.  You never know what contamination lurks in the home kitchens or boat galleys.

And if I can make a major mistake like this, than for sure, someone without celiac might.  It was totally my fault, and I'm thrilled that there are so many gf options to buy now, but I hate when the packets look almost identical.  Plus, there are a number of restaurants now that think all quinoa packages are gf.  I bought this one for the quinoa, not noticing the bulgar wheat.....

Just sharing.  Buyer beware....as always.  And this has to go in the trash.  Something this clumpy would clog the drain.  I learned that the hard way with rice once.

Note: The one that I read at the store...assuming both were the same, actually says it's made in a dedicated allergen-free factory. But I just wish the packets looked more different and people were more careful about where they placed things on the shelves.

Oh well.

Lin