From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:03:01 -0500

Cabbage looked too good to pass up at the local farmer's market this week, but how much cole slaw can you eat? So I concocted this.  I'm still fooling around with my new Dutch oven.

In a Dutch oven or heavy soup pan, I put a splash of olive oil and heated it up.
Added one diced, large onion.
Added five frozen hamburger patties....I didn't bother to defrost them.  I let that happen in the pan. Of course, you could use already defrosted or fresh ground meat...or omit the meat altogether.
Added 3 large, diced, smushed garlic cloves.
Added the remaining 3 small "red" (still green) peppers from my garden.  The equivalent of one full-grown red or green bell pepper.
When the meat was defrosted,  I added half a large head of sliced up cabbage.
Added one jar of marinara sauce...could have used cans of tomato sauce, but I had the jar handy.  (Lazy me, the tomato sauce was in the basement pantry.  Used what I had in the kitchen closet.)
Also added about one cup of water.  You don't want to drown the food, but you need liquid for the cabbage to cook.

When the cabbage was starting to cook down, I added 2 cups of quinoa. Stir well.  (Usually I rinse it. This time, I just tossed it in....and did end up with a really hard piece of something. Rinsing is a good idea.)

I let this simmer for about 20 minutes more, until the quinoa was done and the cabbage and everything was cooked through. Be careful.  My dinner actually started to burn, when the contents got too thick.

This made four generous servings. (Dinner for two, tonight and tomorrow.)

Options: Could have added mushrooms and/or carrots.  For some reason, it cried out for a splash of wine, but since I reacted to wine in my coq au vin last week, I left it out.

I just realized that I never added salt (usually use none or little) or pepper (usually use a lot).  Didn't miss it.

You know what else might work with this....If I made round gf French bread (have to dig up a recipe) and hollowed out the middle to use as a bowl, like some restaurants do for chowder.  Sounds like something to do on a wintry day.

Enjoy.