Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2013 22:25:38 -0400
Subject:
From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you for the responses.  All say that barley grass and wheat grass are technically gf, that it's the flower we react to....but several warn of contamination in the field, so only buy from a reputable company that does testing for gluten.  Here are some of the responses and links to articles.    I guess if I needed organic, natural sprinkles, I'd buy that brand, but I was more curious about barley grass (and subsequently wheat grass), in general.  Lin

1. If it's the grass, it is gf. The gluten comes from the flowers (what we think of as grains). Wheat grass is also gf, so those "superfood" juice drinks are also safe to consume. Think of it this way: I'm highly allergic to cedar pollen, but I am not allergic to the cedar boards in my closet.

2. Some of the Changs sauces I stock/use state that they contain "wheat" but
are still gluten free because all the gluten component has been removed
during processing. The sauces have all been lab tested and contain no traces
of gluten (hence they are allowed to carry the GF label).

It may be the same for the candy confetti but you would have to confirm with
the manufacturer.

3.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/508906-is-barley-grass-safe-for-celiac/

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/everydaymedicalissues/f/Are-Wheat-Grass-And-Barley-Grass-Gluten-Free.htm