From:
Batsheva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:45:49 -0700
This is fascinating, Todd.  Thanks for sharing.  I&#39;ve often wondered why I&#39;m fatter than I&#39;ve ever been in my adult life eating fairly strict paleo, with the only inclusion of either yuca or the occasional sweet potato as my denser carbs.  I do eat berries daily in season.  HOwever, fat and protein are my staples.  When I was eating a grain based, unrefined diet, I was lean and although I had the usual look that accompanies protein deprivation, my weight never varied from age 14 through age 42.  Once I became paleo, the weight packed on.  One thing worth mentioning, as I don&#39;t want to seem like I&#39;m complaining against the paleo diet, is that I just about never get sick, and when I exercise, I seem to be able to go forever.  I eat to satiation, and as long as I keep moving, I&#39;m not too much overweight, maybe 15 lbs, especially in the winter.

I&#39;ve often wanted to ask the obvious question as to why Asians can consume 5-6 bowls of rice daily, and never seem to get fat, even as they age. They eat plenty of pork, pork fat, duck, duck fat, and most eat an egg daily.    I do concede that Chinese have their host of health issues:  heart disease, osteoperosis, tooth decay, and a myriad of diseases of modern civilization.  But they&#39;re are not fat, and most can squat and sit cross legged or on their haunches well into their 70&#39;s.

Batsheva