From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:52:20 -0600
ok, this is excellent news.
However, I must have misread or misunderstood your original post.  I thought
you said you had disconnected the G5RV from all other RV feed lines and you
were still seeing the short...  I also thought you had said you checked the
RV feed lines independant of the g5RV...if they are connected together, they
are not independant and a short in one is going to show in the other...
So if I reed this correctly now, you had the G5RV pig tail connected to the
RV feed point, and you were testing the antenna from inside the rv with the
connecter at your operating position correct? and that is where you were
seeing the short?
You had us all thinking you had disconnected the g5RV completely and were
still seeing the short on the connecter of the pigtail on the end of the 450
ohm latter line.
I echo the sentiment that if you have issues with your feedline that goes
from the operating position to outside where you connect the antenna to,
then it would explain allot about your frustration with the screw driver as
well.
Remember never to assume something is working as it should until you test
each link in the chain...in this case, you failed to check the state of the
feedline between the radio and the outside where the antenna was connected.
And, you kept doing tests with that feed line connected, thus leaving it in
the chain and causing the testing to be inaccurate.
not a problem though, it's all part of figuring out what's going on.
Did you happen to do a continuity check from the inside of the RV after the
g5RV  was disconnected at the outside connecter?

73
Colin, V A6BKX