colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:43:15 -0600
super easy.
Buy a small audio mixer...such as the behringer ultra 502 or 602...or any of
the behringer audio mixers that suit your needs...they have mixers from
simple 2 channel, up to huge 32 channel boards, and pretty much everything
in between at all price points.
These first two have 5, or six main audio inputs with eq and level control
on each...run that into the line in jack on your computer, or into a set of
amplified computer speakers...or whatever amplified speaker system you
prefer.
These mixers also have dedicated headphone outputs with a separate volume
control for the phones...it also has RCA in and out jacks for recording
stuff if you wish...though I do this via the computer since I have the mixer
running straight into the line in jack on the pc.
Some eighth inch to eighth inch patch cables and a couple eighth inch to
quarter inch adapters for the mixer end, and you'll be off and running.
These kinds of mixers run from $40 to $50 at most music stores or online at
places such as:
www.musiciansfriend.com

www.sweetwater.com

www.zzounds.com

and probably amazon, ebay and all the other likely culprits.
the mixer has quarter inch, and xlr inputs, and your radios will have eighth
inch audio outputs...thus the adapters and patch cables...also all availible
at music stores and the online places I mentioned.
You can get even more creative, and run the different audio outputs from
your radios to different channels on the mixer, and if you are using a
stereo speaker set up like computer speakers or into the line in jack on the
PC, you can pan different outputs left and right...for instance, you could
have the VHF receiver going to channel one left, UHF receiver channel two
right, HF on channel 3 in the middle and your scanner on channel four panned
off to one side a little bit to give it separation from everything else.
then you can use the 3 band eq to taylor the audio to precisely how you need
to hear it with your hearing loss.
I too use hearing aids so i tend to jack up the mids a little on the mixer
to increase definition on the communications material.
Or, drop the mids down to reduce HF white noise.
these mixers are very very handy for multiple audio sources that you want to
combine and mix into one output.
Very handy for recording QSO's or scanner traffic on the fly as well.
Use a digital recorder if you want straight out of the tape or control room
outputs...or use the computer and appropriate recording software as I said.

hope this helps.
ask for more details if you need to.

73
Colin, V A6BKX