Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:01:18 -0400

I received lots of feedback regarding my question about the GF status
from Synthroid from those who have taken it 20+ years with no problem
and feel confident it is GF, and others who have switched.  I have had
celiac for 4 years, and been on Synthroid for almost 2.  Not sure yet
if I will switch or not, but I have an appoint with my endocrinologist
next week to discuss.

Below are the responses I received:

I finally found generic synthroid made by Mylan Pharmacueticals.  They
state that their synthroid generic is gluten free manufacured in a
gluten free facilitiy.  Please contact them yourself to verify.  You
can find their phone number on the internet.

I have taken Levoxyl for many yrs with no problem.    Had been on
Synthroid before.

My prescription is for Levothyroxin and it is a generic for
Synthroid.  I've been on it for a few years and have had no problems.

I've taken Levoxyl for 18 yrs. no reactions. Watch your blood tests.

I take Armour for thyroid.  It is gluten free.

I am also experiencing some "issues" I hadn't experienced prior to
going on Synthroid (bloating, GERD, etc.). After I learned it was no
longer guaranteed GF, I decided to do some checking with my local
compounding pharmacy. They tell me they can compound a bioidentical
synthroid without any worrisome additives, so that's what I'm going to
do -- have them make me "synthroid" without the worry of gluten.

My pharmacist at CVS could not guarantee that Synthroid is gluten
free.  I also was getting bad headaches from it (I don’t get the usual
gluten exposure symptoms).  My endocrinologist switched me to Levoxyl
and so far so good.  The headaches went completely away and my thyroid
has been at a steady level.  I’ve read Synthroid cannot guarantee that
the ingredients from some of their suppliers are gluten free and I
didn’t want to take any chances, especially with a  medication you
have to take every single day.

I am on levothyroxine and do not experience and problems with it. I
would contact your pharmacist and have them call the company for
verification.

It has been several years now, but I switched from Synthyroid  to
Levoxyl with no problem.

I switched to Armour which is gf.  I read somewhere that even though
Synthroid is now listed as not guaranteeing gf - they are with no
issues.

I was on Synthroid for 39 years and switched to Nature-throid last
year with amazing results. I was always hesitant to switch because I
had been on the Synthroid for so long. The switch, however, was
seamless for me. I feel better, have more energy and my thyroid
numbers are just fine. I hope this helps.

I have been taking Synthroid for 35 years.  I am VERY sensitive to
gluten and I have zero reason to believe that Synthroid has ever
caused me any problems.  I've discussed this drug, specifically, with
the doctor who runs the glutenfreedrugs.com website, and he feels
confident that any disclaimers (re potential gluten) from the
manufacturers of Synthroid is simply legalese, and there is virtually
no probability that there is any cross-contamination going on.  We all
have to make our own choices, but Synthroid seems to be the only
thyroid drug that reliably delivers a consistent reliable dosage.  I'm
personally sticking with it.  (I've been GF for 7 years, so I am not
new to this at all.)  Synthroid is also the only prescription drug
that I take on a regular basis, so I'd be very aware if anything were
amiss.

I won't go on synthroid since they won't certify that they are gluten-
free. My levothyroxine by Mylan. I have to have it specially ordered
each time, but never have a problem.

As for Synthroid, yes, it is GF. Please be sure that you are taking it
on an empty stomach, separated from food and any other medications by
an hour on each side (before and after). All thyroid meds are finicky
in the sense that other meds, especially iron and calcium, hinder the
absorption.

The only truly guaranteed GF thyroid prep is Tirosint however I would
never change from Synthroid. Despite what you have heard there is no
gluten in Synthroid.

I couldn't get a straight answer when I looked into it so we chose
Levoxyl for my Celiac son and he is doing well on it.    It's
apparently a brand and not generic, and it's much cheaper than
Synthroid.

I take nature throid (it is a t3/t4 combo).
but the same rules apply to all thyroid meds & getting the dosage
right is such a struggle, but makes all the difference.

I take levithroid.   I had stomach issues w synthroid

I have never been on Synthroid but on the celiac.com site it is listed
as not guaranteed to be gf.  I have stayed away from it. I was taking
Pfizer brand Levoxyl until the recent recall.  My endo prescribed
Tirosint instead.  It is a gel cap with no generic. It is gf and also
does not have the other artificial colors and ingredients in other
forms of levothyroxine. Some of the generics are evidently also gf.  I
have done okay on Tirosint so far (about 3 weeks). I was on 112 mcg of
Levoxyl and I am currently on 100 mcg of Tirosint (evidently it is
absorbed more efficiently).  I just had my labs done this week and
will see my endo next week, so we shall see how things look).  I have
felt a little off but it may just be an adjustment period. I am
actually hoping he will add some T3 since my Free T3 has been low the
last couple of times I was tested.