From:
Dianne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dianne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2013 20:11:44 -0700

Thanks so much to all of you who responded to the following question:
A friend has just made a batch of gluten free cookies for me but has just noticed that the label on the vanilla extract says that it was made in a facility that also processes wheat.  Do you think it would be safe? I'd appreciate your opinions.

The answers fell into 3 categories:
Yes, the cookies would be safe to eat.......1/3 of respondents
No, they wouldn't be safe to eat................1/3 of respondents
And the last 1/3 answered with words like "maybe," "more than likely okay," "may not be worth the risk if you are extremely sensitive", etc.

A point made was that the amount of vanilla used in a batch of cookies would be very small and therefore the amount of contamination most likely would be minute.

There was another important point of concern regarding the cookie sheet and the mixer. These are things I often worry about when given home baked g.f. goodies from friends who are not celiacs.

I'm not absolutely certain about which way I'll go on this but you've definitely given me "food for thought."
I really appreciate your opinions and thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Dianne

*******
*******