From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:46:28 -0400
If you're on the top floor there has to be something you can do. I've known
people to get pretty creative and have it work pretty well. I even know one
person with a 102 inch whip on the balcony railing, not even on the top
floor, it's a little bent because of the floor above but he did that, ran
coax to his furnace room which is on that balcony, then ran the coax through
the heating duct to where he has his station, I think he has some other
antennas out there for local stuff too, VHF and what not. From the ground
it's rather unnoticeable, from inside the apartment it's not noticeable
unless you look on the balcony or in the bedroom where the station is. My
antennas where I am weren't noticeable until I put up the HF one, that kind
of grabs your attention now and draws it to the others but it's a 25 foot
ground mounted vertical in a trailer park where all the trailers are only
about 12 feet to the roof. Also though about every other one has a scanner
antenna and those stick out about as much as my dual bander or 900 MHz
antenna, the attention grabber is the HF vertical but I don't think anyone
would dare complain because of all the scanner antennas. By the time they're
on masts and all, they're only about 6 feet below the top of the HF antenna.
There are a lot of tv broadcast antennas and satellite dishes in here too.
Anyway, point being, there's always a way to work something out that will
work even if it is inside unless your building is made of metal. A good
balcony railing, fire escape ladder, any of that should do something for you
even if it's a case where you put it out when you use it and put it away
when you're done. the apartment I was in, I had permission but still kept
things hidden as best as I could, the g5RV went right over the roof of the
building and was never seen until a tropical storm took the tree it was in
down from the front of the building and I had to go fishing for antennas in
the mess in the front yard.