From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2012 21:54:16 -0400
Hi, folks.

I know we have had similar discussions on the list before, but tonight I
feel I have discovered something that may be of interest to others.

Basically, over the past few days, I have found that even when transmitting
on the resonant frequency of an antenna with a 1.0 to 1 SWR, my TS590 seems
to fold back to an output power of approximately 50 watts.  These power
readings have been obtained from both the meter on the TS590, and my TW1
talking watt meter.

I thoroughly checked all coax and DC power connections, but everything
seemed ok.

I measured the power supply's voltage first with no load, and it was 13.35
volts consistently.  However, when I transmitted in RTTY mode with 100
watts, thereby putting a full load into the circuit, the DC voltage readings
started fluctuating all over the place.  They ranged from a high of 10
volts, to as low as 2 or 3 volts.  Then, on a whim, I connected the Kenwood
PS53 power supply that I got with the Kenwood 570 I purchased from the
estate sale in our area, and the output power readings were a very solid 100
watts, even when the rig was keyed down continuously for several minutes.

I know there is a way to adjust the voltage in the RS35, but with the
foldback of the ts590, and the fluctuations in voltage readings, I'm now
getting a bit nervous about using the RS35 as my main supply.

Does anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences to report?

If I do need to be in the market for a new power supply, I have several
requirements:

1.  I'd like it to be a linear supply

2.  I'd like it to be something that could deliver at least 40 amps
continuously through my rigrunner, because I sometimes run the TS590, my
TMV71A, and my TMV7A packet set-up simultaneously.

If anyone has specific suggestions regarding a supply that I might wish to
consider, please let me know.

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ