From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 05:27:21 -0700
Not necessarily true.  Strictly speaking, a half wave dipole is a
ballanced antenna.  Although somewhat a different design than the
original g5rv, those you buy today use the ballanced line as a sort of
tuning stub, and most state you should run at least 50 feet of 50 ohm
coax to the radio.  I ran one like that for years and it worked great.
I also once ran a double sized one that worked fine on 160  Antenna
lengths were doubled as well as the tuning stub.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148