From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 07:52:43 -0400
They can but if the person causing a problem is a mile away and the control
station is 5 miles away, the control station can't do much from that
distance because the other person's stronger, hence the reason for a second
receiver on another band. I have to admit I don't even have that on mine yet
but am working on it. I do have contact with workers in the building the
repeater's in though and if I need to shut it off in a hurry,I can call one
of them to pull the plug, they can't do much else since the rack cabinet is
locked and it's 20 feet up in a loft with no easy way up to it but it's
plugged in somewhat low so they can get to the plug. There's someone there
24/7 which is nice. There's  not much chance of a problem on 900 MHz though
since for a while we controlled who had access to the band in this area. Now
stinko alinco has a radio for that band to it's a little more open but I
must admit I've only heard one of those radios so far, everyone still uses
the Motorola's, Kenwoods, and Johnsons around here, Motorola mostly and I do
a lot of the programming.