From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:56:13 -0600
I have found with experience, that just turning off the stupid windows fire
wall takes allot of the aggrevation out of port forwarding and dealing with
blocked programs and addresses etc.
Not too many people these days run straight into an old school cable or DSl
modem without some kind of router involved...which has a firewall built into
it.
Use the hardware firewall in the router/modem.  They are far easier to
configure and are so much less irritating to work with.
Everytime I get a new router, it does take some time and trial and error to
get the 3 echolink ports configured, but patients and trying several
different methods always yields the result I want.
Also, when I signed up for echolink, I simply scanned my license on my own
scanner, sent it in as a .mpg file, and there was no issue at all.
And after all that, I hardly ever use echolink...there are always audio
problems that I don't like, people who shouldn't be licensed and a whole lot
of petty crap that I have no patients for.
Occasionally someone manages to get echolink sounding good, but that is
rare.

73
Colin, V A6BKX