From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2012 21:07:03 -0400
Hi, everyone.

Well, I'm now re-thinking my power supply dilemma, and may not need to go
out and spend the money for a new one after all.

Here's the latest scoop:

When I took the voltage and amperage readings last night, I thought it would
be sufficient to somehow clip the leads on my Omega talking meter to the
lugs on the Astron RS35.  This is where I got the really strange and
variable readings when putting a load into the circuit.

However, and this is a big however, tonight, I figured out a way to squeeze
the leads in so that they could connect directly to the rig runner terminals
themselves, and that made a big difference.  My voltage without any load
still remained at 13.35 or so, but the voltage when transmitting on full
power was much more stable this time, ranging from a low of 13.0 to a high
of about 13.20.  I then took power readings with the TS590's meter on full
power, and came up with 100 watts.  So, if there is a problem here at all, I
think it might be simpler, and might merely take the form of terminals that
meed to be either cleaned or replaced.  You wouldn't think that would make
much difference in voltage readings, but apparently it does.  I am not sure
why I initially kept getting those 50-watt power readings earlier in the
week, but now, I'm less convinced that there is a major problem with the
supply.  Obviously, I'm going to have to take things apart here, clean and
secure everything systematically, and then see if the problem recurs.

At any rate, it beats spending money on a power supply that I simply may not
need, at least right now.

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ