From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 17:01:26 -0500
Field Day weekend of 1976, the upper HF bands and 6 meters went
completely crazy.

Fifteen and ten meters were open for the entire weekend, and 6
probably was too.

After we had drained all of the contacts possible from 40 meters at
about daylight on Sunday, the person in charge let another guy and me
fire up a Swan 250 and 3 elements at 30 feet on 6 meters. He did that,
I think, mainly to shut us up about wanting to work 6 meters at Field
Day. Almost everybody there would laugh at the mere thought of that
band scoring any points at all. Of course, they had never operated it
in the first place, so they were the authority.

Within an hour of moving from 40 meters to 6 meters, we were the ones
laughing. Before Field Day ended, we had worked 44 states, and
everything in Canada accept what was then called the Northwest
Territory.

The only time I had more fun was when I worked Fargo North Dakota from
Mississippi on 146.520 FM simplex one night back in 1987.

Mike Duke, K5XU