From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:48:13 -0500
I too was going to mention the plug from Radio Shack that has the
multi-connector posts built into the handle.

I have one of these plugs, which I find to be the handiest thing since
sliced bread.

I have powered up to a 50 watt rig through the cigarette lighter with
no problems for almost as many years as there have been 50 watt solid
state 2 meter rigs.

The only failure I ever had was when I was using a plug that had been
soldered onto the power cable for my then relatively new Icom IC22S,
which was a 10 watt rig. The connections inside the plug itself
shorted, and shut down whatever was on the same fuse as the cigarette
lighter.

I replaced the fuse, and then replaced the plug with a more industrial
strength model from a hamfest, and had no more problems.

That said, I wouldn't try a 100 watt HF rig, and probably not even the
newer 75 watt class 2 meter rigs with this arrangement.

But Chris should have no problem using the cigarette lighter to power
the amplifier he described.

Just in case you do need to know in a hurry sometime later, though,
try to determine, either from the automobile owners manual, or from
the fuse block itself, the value of the fuse for the cigarette
lighter. Also, be aware that the extra socket for cell phone chargers
and other accessories may have a lower current rating, and thus be
fused with an appropriate lower value.

Happy mobiling.

Mike Duke, K5XU