From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:40:17 -0600
	I had a close call a couple of years ago when I was
crossing a street while leaving work. It was noisy from
construction work near by and somebody was revving a motorcycle
up the street a bit so I didn't hear the lady rolling slowly
through the crosswalk until I felt my cane suddenly pull
downward under her right front tire. This is one of the aluminum
rigid canes with the reflective tape coating around the hollow
shaft and the golf club grip for a handle. Had it been made of
anything else such as carbon fiber or fiberglass, I think I
would have been left with nothing at all.

	As it was, the wheel put a rather gentle bend of about
60 degrees in to the last foot or so of the cane and one of the
construction workers near by had something round to bend it
against and was able to almost straighten it back out so I was
able to walk the rest of the mile or so I am from home to work.

	When I got home, I put it in a bench vice and
straightened it out more, but we went ahead and bought another new
cane since that sort of bending weakens the tubing and it is
better to be safe than sorry.

	I go through a cane tip about every couple of months so
these canes get about two miles of travel most days.

	If I save enough of these, I can cut them to length with
some sort of base and make a 6-meter ground plain which will be
quite reflective.

Martin WB5AGZ