Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 02:01:23 -0400
From:
Gail Pierce <[log in to unmask]>

   I am grateful that so many people took the time to send in comments and suggestions. Thank you.  Almost everyone has said they were successfully given the Shingles vaccine. A few complained that the shot was painful, or had arm discomfort for a few days. But no other adverse effects were mentioned. Many complained about the cost.
Just a few people stated that their doctor did not recommend it, but did not give specific reasons.
At the end of this summary, there is a comment ** from someone who does not get vaccines and uses an alternative plan.

I checked with 2 physicians. My skin doctor investigated and said there was no gluten in the vaccine. Dr.Stefano Guandalini, Pediatrics Chief of Gastroenterology at University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital  and Founder and Medical Director, Celiac Disease Center says there is no issue with Celiac Disease and this injection.

Here is a summary of the numerous comments:

The age has now been lowered to 50 years old to get the vaccine and you will probably have to pay for the serum, but  it's well worth the price. Repeat: actually getting a case of shingles is  horrible!

*If you have asthma,  the company that puts out the vaccine recommends  that asthmatics consult their doctor.

Having shingles could compromise your immune system seriously. If you want up to date medical information on shots, I would go to the National Vaccine Information Center www.nvic.org.  (see below)   They work for informed consent and worked to get the safer Japanese  acellular dpt shot. They have funded studies and usually have the  latest information. Another source: www.mercola.com

All I know, as a person who HAS HAD shingles, is that you WANT to getthe vaccination instead of getting the condition.  Shingles is NOT anautoimmune disorder – it affects people who previously had chicken pox (whichchildren are vaccinated for now) where the virus remained resident in theirbody.

HavingCD has nothing to do with your immune system in general when receiving avaccination.  The “healthy immune system” statement is said to excludepeople whose immune systems have been weakened by HIV, immunosuppressivetherapy, chemo, radiation, some types of cancer or active TB or HEP C.  Itdoes not include people with auto immune conditions such as CD unless they alsofit into the above categories.

Shingles is extremely painful,and the virus can return to a person's body multiple times, causing damage tothe nervous system. It is common in older people and dangerous to their health,because their immune systems are weaker than younger people's, and immunity tothe virus lessens the older a person gets.(Medical News Today)

Be aware that you can get Shingles at any age, and can have it multiple times.  The vaccine will lessen the symptoms.

Quick Facts from the National Vaccine Information Center:

Shingles

Herpes zoster (shingles) is a viral infection caused by the Varicella Zoster (chicken pox) virus but, unlike chickenpox, shingles is not contagious;
Herpes zoster is not caused by Herpes simplex Types 1 and 2 associated with cold sores and sexually transmitted genital herpes;
Shingles involves inflammation of the nerves and a very painful blistering skin rash that typically lasts two to four weeks;
Symptoms of shingles include pain, itching or tingling of areas of the skin, usually on the trunk of the body, along with fever, headache, chills and an upset stomach;
Complications of shingles include post-herpatic neuralgia (chronic nerve pain), loss of vision, hearing problems, brain inflammation (encephalitis), Bell’s Palsy, pneumonia and, rarely, death;
Herpes zoster is most common in individuals over 50 years of age, however, Individuals with weakened immune systems are at higher risk;(NOT CELIACS)
Treatment with antibiotics may shorten the time it takes to recover from shingles;

Shingles Vaccine

There is one live virus shingles vaccine, licensed in 2006, for use in the U.S. by adults over 50 years: Zostavax, manufactured by Merck;
The CDC now recommends adults 60 years and older receive one dose of shingles vaccine;  (IT IS NOW 50)
Reported complications from shingles vaccine include local swelling, pain and redness at injection site; zoster-like skin rash, headache, joint pain, muscle pain, fever, abnormally swollen glands and hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylaxis (shock);
Shingles vaccine effectiveness is reported to be about 51 percent;
The shingles vaccine contains live attenuated varicella zoster virus and vaccine strain virus transmission from the vaccinated to susceptible individuals has been reported;
Mass use of chickenpox vaccine by children in the U.S. since 1995 has limited natural boosting of Varicella Zoster immunity in the adult population and there has been a significant increase in cases of Herpes zoster among adults.

**My children reacted terribly to vaccines as children. If I had known then that we all had celiac, I would never have let them have the first shot. Doctors rarely want to talk about this subject, but if you think about it, our systems automatically attack "normal" substances as the enemy, so what happens when you introduce something as freakish as a vaccine -- loaded with contaminants like formaldehyde, btw -- which is designed to create an immune response? Our bodies are going to attack the vaccine, of course. And then all hell breaks loose.    My family turned to classical homeopathic medicine long ago; this system has vaccine like treatments that work with the body rather than against it. The National Center for Homeopathy in D.C. can help you find info about this if you're interested.