From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2012 21:16:54 -0500
Tom,

I ran one on 80 meters for several years.

They work, but the internal automatic tuners are not likely to be able
to handle them.
 For those who do not know what this antenna is, it is a half wave
length of wire at the lowest frequency you wish to work. As the name
implies, it is fed at one end by connecting one side of a piece of
open wire line or more likely now days, 450 ohm window line to the end
of the half wave length of wire. The other wire in the window line is
left un-terminated at the antenna end, but connected to the ground
terminal, or to the other side of the balun of the antenna tuner. This
un-used conductor basically works much like a counterpoise, and thus
becomes more or less the second half of the antenna.

The advantages of the end fed Zep are that it will tune on several
bands above the design frequency. Also because it is end fed, it is
often much easier to keep all or most of it hidden from the antenna
police.

One disadvantage is that it tends to be a little less efficient than a
center fed, although it certainly works well enough if you can get it
tuned.

The biggest disadvantage, however, is that matching the end fed zep is
very tricky.

The matching problem occurs because the antenna is fed at the end of a
half wave. This means the impedance is extremely high. Also, because
it is fed at a high rf voltage point, rather than at the high current
point in the center, not all tuners will handle the high voltage, even
at the 100 watt power level.

The one I ran was cut for 80 meters. It would tune fine on 40, 20, and
parts of 10 meters, but not well anywhere else.

There are some end fed zeps on the market that have a matching network
for one specific band, and that match the antenna directly to coax.
There is also at least one out there that claims to work on 40, 20,
and 10 meters.

We were trying to use that multi band model for our GOTA station at
field day last weekend. However, when we changed to a G5RV Junior, it
blew the end fed right off the planet on both 40 and 20 meters.