From:
COLLEEN ROTH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 17:42:02 -0400
Hi,
Some Control Ops can turn off a Repeater via phone. Some Control Ops have a code they can punch in using the radio to turn the Repeater off.
I had to do this when we had someone with an Amateur Radio License who had mental problems. He called 911 on the Autopatch to make a rather bizarre false report.
I then called the Trustee of the Repeater and the Local Police he had called.
The Trustee of the Repeater also called this Police Station in a Suburban town where one of the sites for the Repeater was located.
Personally I think you have to remember that your call is on the line if someone is operating from your station. I would rather be safe than sorry so I stay within a short range of my radio. Of course I can just flip the circuit breaker which controls my radio if I am closer to the circuit box than to my radio.
I have seen some people who did fine when they were operating as third parties and I have seen some people who don't.
I choose to identify my station and mention that someone (give name) is operating as a third party.
This is just what I choose to do.
Colleen Roth, N8TNV;