From:
Michael Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 13:55:40 -0400
the real problem is going to be that the radio shack mobiles read their microphones as a 20 button 4 by 5 matrix keypad  like it was part of the radio itself and not as a dtmf pad like kenwod rigs such as the tmv7a and 71a do. so finding a replacement mic to allow you to talk and send touch tones will be doable if wired according to the manual for packet operation, you will not get any of the things that made the htf mibiles worth having. as cheap as radio s have become, if you are looking for anything more than a data radio I would suggest just replacing the ancient radio.  I was sad to see my old 212 go it was indistructable and had a great receiver  I would suggest you get a new tmv71a I learned to use one at field day last year in 5 mins having never touched one before and was very impressed. it actually had a better receiver than my ts 2000 for am and fm. I could hear aircraft stuff on it for example that my ts 2000 had trouble with on the same antenna  it even reads it's menus
73 kb7nla