From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:17:06 -0400
Hi All, I don't have and haven't used a Scout, but have a good
knowledgeable sighted ham friend who has had and used several, and
really likes the rigs!/especially their quiet receiver and great
filter. In terms of blind usage, if I remember correctly,Gary Lee,
kb9zuv, who frequents blind ham lists,  still has a scout.  The Jones
filter, those radios use, is a very nice simple, and efficient
filtering system.  If you don't find any manual or other info, let me
know, and I'll touch base with my friend in South GA, and get some
info links for you.  I've seen the radio with a complete set of
modules,/160-80-40-30-20-17-15-12-&10Meters, selling for between five
and eight hundred dollars, depending on condition.  The band modules
can go for between 50 and a hundred dollars, depending on suply and
demand.  There's a somewhat companionated/power supply and tuner which
sometimes accompany them to make a complete station, but I don't know
any of the nomenclatures of the additional units.  In terms of
accessibility, if you had an outside freq counter-the radio could be
pretty effectively used.  As I understand it though, when you insert a
module, you have no "fixed starting point for tuning, so you'd have to
key the rig and use your freq counter to find where you were on
whatever  band.  Keep me informed, I'll try to be of help if I can.
HTH, Danny Dyer, Wb4idu..