AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"AAM (African Association of Madison)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:20:47 -0500
In 1982, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was extended for an additional twenty-
five years by Senate vote of 85-8.

The Voting Rights Act protects citizens' ability to vote, not the right to
vote. All U.S. citizens have the right to vote, but state and local
jurisdictions are
prevented from interfering with the voters' ability to vote. It outlaws
such practices as poll taxes, reciting the preamble to the U.S.
Constitution, etc. as a condition to vote.

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have
freed thousands more.  -- Harriet Tubman