From:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2012 21:24:17 -0400

I asked a question about compost.   Is it safe if it is made with hay,
bedding that may contain wheat.

I got 8 replies, all of which said not to worry as long as hands are
washed before eating veggies.  Of course, one should not eat the compost
directly!  According to a couple of the replies, compost breaks down
whatever materials are in the soil.  One person grew up on a farm and
was around bedding, wheat hay, etc.  The only symptom was that she broke
out in a rash from the wheat hay.  Personally, I really don't think
being around these kind of materials (wheat hay, rye cover crops) is
necessarily safe though!

So, I'm not sure if I'm 100% comfortable with using compost made from
potentially gluten containing products but the people who answered did
not seem very concerned.  Thanks for all the responses.  The people on
this listserve are just incredible support!