From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:42:42 -0700

Hello again, Listmates,I can't thank you enough for all of your valuable information and insight.  It's such a pleasure to be a part of this group.  My question was if gluten was the only symptom, is it caused by celiac disease/gluten intolerance, and I was looking for references or articles so I could bring them to the doctor.  My son is showing signs of depression, and I wanted him to try going on the GF diet to see if he would improve.  I didn't think the doctor would agree with me, but thanks to Janet (thank you again, Janet), I brought along Dr. Peter Green's book, which has several areas that talk about depression being caused by gluten.  The doctor kept the book so he could read it, and he wants my son to go on the diet and see if it works.  We are also going to send him for some counseling and return to see the doctoragain in 6 weeks.Thank you all for replying.  It's a long summary, so I'll do the best I can.Denise********You might be
 interested in this link:
http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan/
It'll come up with a list of links, one of them is called "Depression" about half-way down the page.
The artticles are by Dr. Ron Hoggan and they concentrate on the effect of gluten on the various conditions.
My wife has CD and she was suffering from depression. We believe gluten was the cause of it. Since going gluten free about 17 years there was no recurrence.
We are both 75 years old and we have of course some minor age-related health shortcoming nowadays but nothing serious.
I hope this link will be of some assistance.********Being GF has had an enormous impact on my tendency toward depression,
sometime very serious depression. For what it's worth.
And I'm talking about 20 years worth of experience with this.
********I can't reference any specific articles, but I have seen articles
from time to time that state that depression can be a symptom of celiac
disease. I also speak from experience here. My son, before we figured out he
was gluten intolerant, had some serious problems with depression, which have
improved markedly now that he is on a gluten-free diet.

Something else to consider: some people are very sensitive to sugars (table
sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereal, etc.) which can cause depression.
********http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Depression.htmhttp://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Research%3A-Associated-Diseases-and-Disorders/Depression-and-Celiac-Disease/http://www.celiaccentral.org/Celiac-Disease/Related-Diseases/Depression/43/*******I've heard about a fair number of people with Celiac suffering from mild depression, which seems pretty normal when you can't eat out and can't even trust processed foods in stores if they aren't labeled gf (and even then). Some people also simply have a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes (again, mild) depression, so the gf diet doesn't relieve it but anti-depressants do work. If the person is not responding to medication, I would definitely get that person to a dr to discuss it further. Major depression definitely needs psychological assistance.********Yes, there are medical journal articles linking celiac and depression.  The celiac can impact our frontal
 lobes, sending our neurotransmitters into negative mode.  Lots of celiacs take medication for anxiety and depression.  A gluten-free diet may help, but many still have trouble - it is very difficult to remain gluten-free in our society.  Cross contamination is a constant worry.********Thank you to all of you for your kind assistance!  Denise