Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:54:14 -0500

Hi All~~

I've been strictly GF for 12 years now and until a month or two ago, I
thought the GF food was getting better. I'm not a very creative or
inventive cook, though what I prepare is quite good - everything is from
scratch. Lately, however, I've been craving more highly flavored foods, the
breads I eat suddenly taste very bland. I can manage Udi's Multi Grain
bread for breakfast and for sandwiches, but pretzels, crackers, etc. are
just too blah.

I'm sensitive to dairy, guar, soy, mushrooms, black olives, and legumes,
but seem okay with potatoes and tomatoes. I don't care for screaming hot
and spicy food, but a little kick is good. The thing is, because I'm not
very creative, I can't imagine new ways to substitute ingredients. What I
would most like to add flavor to is the bread that I bake, which is based
on Bette Hagman's Featherlight flour mix: brown rice flour, tapioca flour,
arrowroot flour (instead of cornstarch). Is there a grain - teff, quinoa,
buckwheat, etc. that I could sub for some of my flour mix to add flavor? I
use Pocono buckwheat flour, which is a very light buckwheat flavor for
buckwheat pancakes - very good. I don't want to add weight to my bread -
now it's like Udi's bread. I would love to have a tender, fluffy bread with
a crusty crust, but I don't know which flours to use to get that result.
Are there light sourdough GF bread recipes available that people like? I
could Google GF sourdough recipes, but I would prefer to get recipes from
listmates who can vouch for their taste.

I'm not sure why I've just now become so dissatisfied with the blandness of
our GF bread products...? I'm also becoming sensitive to more foods that
are naturally GF, like the mushrooms and black olives.

If anyone is able to share suggestions for tweaking my bread recipe to be
more flavorful, but remain a good all-purpose bread, I would be so
grateful! I would like to avoid mixes as most have ingredients I want to
avoid or limit.

Thanks and Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas

--
*
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace...* Millen