ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2014 15:01:28 -0600
Andrew,

All of us who are blind on echurch know exactly what you are describing.  I
remember one of the very first times I felt these feelings was when I was
about 14.  We lived only three blocks from the church we attended so we
almost always walked.  One day, on the way home, my mom said, some of the
ladies at church recommended I take you to a psychologist.  What do you
think about that."  What I thought was, to be honest, was, "Damn.  They
think I'm crazy just because I'm blind," but of course I didn't quite
express it that way to my mother because she was just trying to help.  There
are two sources you don't want to seek encouragement and direction from
concerning blindness.  First, your own family because they never understand,
and secondly, other blind people because 9 times out of ten, they are
feeling the same emotions and are just as screwed up as all the rest of us,
haha.  For example, we attend a church now, and are members going on one
year, and it is similar to what you have experienced.  It is very difficult
for us because Sandy and I have always been involved wherever we attended.
Sandy sings, plays the drums and the piano, not at the same time, smile, and
everywhere we've been, they needed more musicians.  I can hardly sing any
longer due to some problem with my vocal cords that I will be going to find
out about next week but they think it is the side effects of a cholesterol
medication I've been taking for several years.  I stopped conducting and
scheduling regular prayer sessions two years ago largely because of my
voice.  Our pastor, for example, is very friendly and a good teacher.  He
says hello and talks briefly most times we are there, "Hi, how are you?  Is
your back better, etc."  When they stop between songs, they suggest you
shake hands with folks around you, and maybe one or two out of a hundred
people shake my hand.  "Hi, how are you," all over again.  Honestly, pastors
need to take lessons on being friendly and continue through by preaching and
teaching on what they have learned.  Well, shoot.  I knew I'd get carried
away on this topic but here is another example.  I published in booklet
form, my testimony on my website called I Flew Kites With Jesus.  I gave it
to the pastor one day and while I was in the hospital back last January for
3 days with my back surgeries, he came to visit me.  It was nice but he said
he has so many hospital visit, he can't hardly keep up with those alone.
I've heard pastors complain about hospital visits before so I wasn't
impressed.  He shook my hand just before leaving and said, "Good luck with
your church ministry."  If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if he even read
the booklet.  In short, Andrew, it was the pastor's way of saying, "thanks
but no thanks; we don't need anything like that in our church."  These types
of experiences trigger events in our lives that are already painful and they
surface.  My blindness and the death of my father has rippled through my
entire life and triggered some horrible emotions which, as you've seen from
my website, I've had to deal with.  Through prayer has been the only way I
have been able to address my feelings but you've likely seen those articles
that go into details so I won't belabor the problem now.  The truth is,
Andrew, the Enemy is notorious about planting bad seed from prior events.
Then those damaged emotions are triggered by current events and the pain and
hurt comes out like a gully washer, which for you Canadians means, like a
flood, haha.  It isn't just hear either, Andrew, or just in Canada.  I have
blind friends in other countries that describe all the same things related
to church relationships and we are just getting started on the topic.  As
with others, we can talk on the phone and address some of these issues and
what God can do about them if you like.  If you get a chance, and you
haven't read it yet, do a search on my website for Church On The Move.  That
is an experience about a church I went to a few times that was many years
ago.  It is still here and still the exact same size, about 40 people, to
this day so it hasn't moved much since I was there.  Living in the country
is great but like you said, sometimes you feel a long ways away from
civilization.  You know what, Andrew.  You can feel that way living with 2
million people all around you, too.  It is sad and Jesus doesn't like it
either.

Phil.
Living His Name
WWW.SafePlaceFellowship.COM