VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 09:46:30 -0400
I agree that the idea that this allows for blind people to get away from
using guide dogs is utterly ridiculous.  Although I am a cane user, I have
used a guide dog in the past.  How do they expect the blind person to get
to the building to begin with if they are a dog guide user?

Secondly, the issue of interior maps is definitely an issue, but not as
big an issue as some of you may believe.  Most major buildings now have
detailed digital maps as part of their maintenance programs.  For example,
all of the buildings at CMU have digital maps, and this has nothing to do
with accessibility.  It has everything to do with the maintenance teams
needing to know where cables are, even where the jacks are in a given
room.  Not to mention where walls are and duct work and all that kind of
good stuff.  It makes their jobs much easier when they have that
information.

Now, granted, not all buildings have these digital maps.  Also, getting
access to those maps as an individual may be difficult, there are certain
security issues with giving out that information to just anybody.  But, it
is possible, and I expect that if this is done correctly, it will have
much wider application than just for the blind.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi

Archived on the World Wide Web at