From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:41:19 -0400
To elaborate on what Lou says:

Elecraft, not to be confused with Hallicrafters, which is a completely different company, is a ham radio manufacturer in California. Yes, they're really based in the US. They started out with high performance QRP transceiver kits about 13 years ago, give or take. Emphasizing performance and low current drain, not to mention the fun of construction and, of course, upgradability (with the addition of options for SSB, 160 meters, noise blanker, and other things), the K2 was, and still is, highly regarded in its price class and compared to rigs costing considerably more. Following on that success, they came out with the K1, a 2- and later 4-band cw only rig, popular with hikers and outdoor types. Then they brought out the 100-watt amp for the K2, and the ultra-compact KX3, a 3- and later 4-band cw only radio that was about 3 watts on cw and about 3X5 inches. Best for us, it had full morse readout. They then introduced some station accessory kits, and in 2005, came out with the K3, a full function, all-mode, all-band transceiver with lots of DSP. You could have it as a no-solder kit, or fully assembled, in 10 or 100 watt versions. No built-in accessibility unfortunately, but now there's the Hampod. Again, the K3 is very highly regarded, being compared to radios like the Yaesu FT-DX9000 at about half the price, even fully loaded. Very popular with DXpeditions and contesters. And now, they've got the KPA500 500-watt amp, and at the other end of the scale, the recently introduced Elecraft KX3, a full function, all-mode 160-6 meter rig, 10 watts, and amazingly small at about 8X3X2 inches, and under 2 pounds, more or less. All software defined, with fantastic audio, and getting better all the time with continuous software updates. It also has a morse readout, but it's not completely finished. And, I expect it will also work with Hampod.

I don't work for Elecraft, but maybe I should. :-) Yes, I have a K2/100, with the KRC2/AC morse readout box and the external auto tuner. I also have a KX1 and a KX3, though, sadly, not a K3. The K1 isn't at all accessible, so don't have one of those either.

Vy 73,
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY