From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:20:02 -0400
Chips designed by Votrax ended up in products such as the Braille 'n Speak,
Speaqualizer, Accent synthesizers (I think), and speech boards including
VoTalker, Artic and Sounding Board.  Speech was quite clear, once you got
used to it, but close to a monotone.  Votrax started in adaptive technology
with the VSB series of boards, some of which were in the very first Kurzweil
Reading Machines, talking terminals from Maryland Computer Services and
Triformation, and then the standalone Type 'n Talk and Personal Speech
System serial synthesizers.  They weren't the only game in town, but they
were a major player.

The Smithsonian has a series of web pages on the history of speech
synthesis.  I wish they had more audio recordings online; apparently they
have some tapes in their possession.  Still, you can learn a lot about the
people and organizations who contributed to   our access before 2002.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls