From:
Shawn Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:20:31 -0400
Hello list:

Having recently passed my "Extra" class exam, my next "ham" goal is to learn to control a remote hf base station via my pc(avoiding severe antenna restrictions at my QTH, while using SSB across multiple bands).  I currently have a working echolink station using a Dell desktop computer running the Windows Vista platform, and a USB headset/mic.  Apart from my current echolink equipment, and downloading the remote control software,will I require any further pc hardware/software?

I am a neophyte at this, and was wondering if there was a comprehensive guide/manual as to the steps needed to access/use such remote hf base stations, and where to find them.  As an aside, it took me a long time before I had a functioning echolink station.  Extremely frustrating, but if you persevere, you can find help both within, and outside of   handihams.  It took several months, and a few wrong turns(such as trying to correctly forward ports),I do believe that in my situation, that the isp provided device required the ports to be opened(which I managed to have done through a simple call to the isp tech dept.  Forwarding the correct ports on my external "datalink router was more difficult, but with kind assistance, it was done.   As  in life in general, you'll find some people more willing to help than others.  End of sermon.

Sincerely yours,

David S. Pearson-wa4dsp/ae