From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 20:44:09 -0500
"The hams in that community took matters into their own hands!"

And, they were lucky to live to tell about it.

"So, what do you all think about this issue?"

Not very much.

About a year ago, I observed the hunt for a 2 meter bootlegger in my
area be nearly destroyed by one guy with a survivalist mentality who
was within a few hours of attempting exactly what you described.

Self policing among hams has never been intended to mean busting down
somebody's door.
Operators like that, and even those operators who call people down too
harshly over the air give the ARRL's well intended, but much abused
Official Observer program its very bad reputation.

As for there being no FCC enforcement, don't bet your ticket on that.

The people from the New Orleans office worked closely with us on the
case I mentioned. Three of us knew that they had been in town twice,
and were planning to return the next week to nail the guy. Litterly on
the Friday before they were coming in on Tuesday, the guy dropped out
of site, and has not been heard from since. The speculation among
those of us who were pretty sure where he was operating from is that
he was also posing as a private security person. Apparently the real
security people caught him, and he vanished.