From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:38:16 -0400
Ah, the great grounding debate.  Fought over by hams since Marconi was
in short pants.

I don't pretend to understand any of this stuff, but I do know that
everything involved: antenna ground, station ground, and utility ground
should   be at the same potential so any strike or induced surge is even
across the entire system.  How we get there is always the question.

  A "single point ground" is favored by many hams, where  station,
antennas, and utilities  are all tied together  at a single  ground rod
(or multiple ground rod system).   Even if this is the method of choice,
not always possible in an apartment situation.    The same with
grounding rig  to a cold water  pipe, not always possible in an apartment.

  There was an old trick of using a length of  coax with  capacitors at
each end between center  and braid to provide a good RF ground.   I
don't remember what value caps, or even how well it really worked.

The "hot mic" mentioned yesterday sound  like RF in the shack.    A
better ground of the rig, or a counter poise of 1/4 wavelength wire on
the desired freq may help.

73, Steve KW3A