From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 19:50:12 -0400
Honestly, my last couple QTH's I was on the second floor, and not able to
run an RF ground and I never had a problem without one. As long as you have
the antenna grounded for lightning protection, I'd try without, or put
counter poises for any bands you use regularly off the ground screw on the
radio but I never needed one and know many in that same boat with no
problem. Luckily the RF ground doesn't protect against lightning, if
lightning gets that far you're already in more trouble than you ever want to
be in so you probably might as well run no RF ground, or the counter poise
idea unless you want to run an artificial ground. Where I am now I can run a
ground but this is the first time in all my ham years I can and I may not
bother based on the lack of problem in the past without one.