From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 20:32:14 -0500
Scott.

You are correct that you do not want the 47 inch long antenna as your
primary HT antenna. They have their place in the world, which is
primarily when you are sitting or standing still outdoors.

MFJ, Diamond, Comet, and several other companies all make duo band
flexible "rubber duck" type antennas that are from 6 inches long to
nearly a full quarter wave size on 2 meters. That is about 19 inches.

Note that most of these companies also make very short models. But
stay away from the really short ones.

Excluding the really short models, my experience is that just about
anything you buy will give the stock antenna supplied with the Wouxun
a total thrashing on 2 meters. You won't notice much difference on
440.

That said, and for full disclosure purposes, I have owned my Wouxun
since June of 2010, so they may have improved their stock antenna
performance for 2 meters since then. I certainly hope so.

One more word of caution:

Especially when you are looking at rubber duck type antennas, don't
take the term "gain" too seriously. Remember that nobody's
advertisement is going to say anything that resembles, "Our antenna
doesn't really work any better than anybody else's." The truth is that
for the most part, you won't notice much difference among antennas of
the same length and diameter.

Above all, remember that if the claims made for any antenna, not just
those for hand helds, sound too good to be true, they probably are
exactly that.

I replaced my Wouxun antenna with one made by MFJ. It is about an inch
longer than the Wouxun antenna. I notice very little difference
between it and the longer model that is a full size quarter wave on 2
meters.