From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:08:30 -0600
Yes, changing out the mast is a bit of work, but, especially for 40
and 80 meter coverage, 38 feet would be somewhat better than 28 feet.

As for a telescoping mast slipping downward, they won't if they are
installed properly. At least, not for a very long time anyway.

One thing you may want to consider if the mast you propose to use is
metal, is to find an extension arm that is made of fiberglass or PVc
to move the center feed point of the antenna either away from, or
above the metal mast by a few feet. Just exactly how many feet is a
subject of great debate, but as few as 2 feet will make a difference
in both the tuning of the antenna, and in its performance.

Back to the is higher really worth it question, I'm having a
discussion of that very subject with the guys who help me with
antennas.

The center of my 80 meter inverted v is at 35 feet, and is about 3
feet off the side of my tower. One leg of that antenna is almost
completely over the roof of my house.

I am convinced that the same antenna will perform much better with the
center at 50 feet in a tree that is about 20 feet behind the house.
The real performance difference in this case will be in the receive
mode, and will be caused primarily by the fact that none of the
antenna is no longer close to my roof. I think I've almost convinced
them to come over to do some tree shooting. I'll let you know the
results when that happens.

All that said, if you can't keep the wires from crossing over your
roof, go with what works in your situation.