From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:38:09 -0400

Several list mates asked me to summarize my back up food stash for the Mediterranean cruise we just took.

I had enough for an emergency each day, but brought most of it home. I brought baggies for daily stuff and to take food from the ship, usually fruit.  I made a cheese sandwich at breakfast at our hotel to take to the airport on the last day. Baggies came in handy for food and trash. Dont forget plastic spoons and forks.
I also brought an insulated lunch bag that looked like a purse.  Got it at Staples. It collapsed easily into suitcase, and I used it every day that we went ashore or wandered through Rome. Bought cold bottled water that kept food cool.  The baggies and insulated bag were suggestions from list mates!

Here's the food I took...

Minsley cooked ready-to-eat organic quinoa sealed plastic bowls. (bring plastic spoons). Single serving. Was great with tomatoes and olive oil. I bought the quinoa  bowls in a healthfood store in Chestertown, Md. Website www.minsley.com. One bowl and spoon fits in one quart baggie.

Packets of tuna (bring plastic fork or spoon)

Protein bars.. I find most bars way too sweet, but I did like Kinds chocolate and peanut butter. High protein, but not low glycemic.

Packets of almonds, plain and chocolate dusted.

Glutenfreedas instant oatmeal packets You just need half a cup of hot water. I ended up giving mine away to another gf traveler.

small prepackaged bags of edamame, sprouted sunflower seeds.... Both bought at Whole Foods.

And two bags of Brads dried vegetable/flax chips.... Sorry, I found them vile and left them in Rome.

Another traveler brought protein powder and mixed it with bottled water for breakfast.

I had also inadvertently purchased buffalo and turkey jerky, but left them home because you aren't supposed to bring meat products into the countries. The only country that asked was the USA when we came home!

Check the website for the customs laws for wherever you are going.

I also had a letter on my doctor's letterhead saying I have diabetes and celiac and must be allowed to travel with food. I put a copy in the checked luggage that had some food, and had a copy with my carry on. No-one asked for it, but travel letters are  a good idea.

As I said in my trip summary, I also had language cards or sheets for all four countries....And an offline app on my iPhone to translate languages.

All this turned out to be overkill, but I like to be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone
*******
*******