BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:15:07 +0000
Mark:

I believe it was very common to leave the stucco unpainted, and only after a few decades and an accumulation of dirt and stains was a unifying coating applied.

We are working on a 1920s Beaux Arts residence in the Detroit suburbs with cementitious stucco, and it has still not been painted. Although a dull gray and unevenly dirty, it is in pretty good condition; the owners do not want to paint it even now, so we are recommending careful repairs to match and application of a Siloxane water repellent to extend the life.

At least in the 20th c. most stucco will include Portland cement, as opposed to early 19th c. stucco that was mostly a lime finish. Our Greek Revival house has that, scored to simulate stone, and it was also not painted initially, but now has too many failed coats of paint that we don't even want to address. The 19th c. stucco is a different set of problems and solutions.

I can't speak specifically about FLlW's use of stucco, though, except that he used concrete extensively and didn't always want to see it painted. In 1990 I researched the coatings used on Fallingwater, and learned that the Kaufmanns didn't paint the concrete until after being in the house for many years, when it started looking really dirty.

I hope that helps...(say hello to Gunny!)

Quinn Evans Architects

Ilene R. Tyler

d 734 926 0407