From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:28:52 -0400
Don,

A couple of things to consider  are what bands do you want to operate,
and how much do you want to use a tuner?   A Windom will give multi band
operation with little or no tuner useage, while the G5RV will work
multibands, but  needs a tuner almost everywhere.

Something like the ones made by Alpha Delta and similar companies that
use loading coils or traps will let you work  without a tuner  on
multiple bands or at least on portions of bands.   The more resonant
bands you want with this type of antenna, the more loading coils or
parallel wires are needed.

I've used all 3 types over the years, as well as open wire fed dipoles.
   They all work.  Some people (including me) have had problems with the
Windom and RFI in the shack, since the antenna is unbalanced.  A coax
choke coil at the feedpoint solved my problem.  This was running 600
watts, no RF problems at low power with the same antenna.

73, Steve KW3A