From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:49:13 -0500
Hi Walt,
The reason there's not a 3 in the call sign, is that these days, you can have any number in the call sign, because you don't have to say the portable sign in the call.
So, let's say I went to California, I could say AC8S, and folks would think I'm in 8 land, however, I would be in California, but I just didn't say "portable 6".
Now I'm still from the old school, so, anytime I'm portable or moble, I still say the portable or moble designater.
So, for example, I'll say AC8S portable 6, or AC8S moble 6, etc.
73,
Trippy ac8s