Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:07:14 -0700
From:
"T. Joseph Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
You can miss every single electronics theory question and pass the
tech exam.  That assuming you know what frequencies are in what
bands, and you know the rest of the material.  So given that, let's
make sure you can flub your way through enough theory to pass.

Bring something to make a few quick notes, and make a few as soon as
you start your test.  You are going to write down three formulas.
The first one is an approximation, and the other two are the real
thing.  They are:

300 = w f
e = i r
p = i e

Do that before you start taking the test.  The first one is, as I
said, an approximation.  It's roughly the ratio of wavelength in
meters to frequency in Megahertz.  Not terribly precise (it suggest
that 2 meters is 150 MHz and 1.25 meters is 240 MHz), but it's close
enough for you to get every single "this frequency is in what band"
question right.

Just remember the number you calculate is gonna be a little on the
high side.  It's close enough to check yourself on a multiple choice
question or figure out the answer if you don't remember.  BTW, I
wrote it as a multiplication problem instead of division on purpose
to reduce stress remembering it.  300 on one side, the variables on
the other, in any order.

The other two formulas are Ohm's law.  The first is written out to
(mis-)spell "ear".  The second one spells out pie.  Did someone say
pie?  I like the sound of that!  The e is the voltage, r is
resistance in ohms, i is the current in amps, and p is power in
watts.  Obviously if you know current and resistance, you can find
power by first figuring out the voltage.  These questions are really
about whether or not you know your prefixes (kilo, Mega, micro, etc.)
and can you keep the numbers straight to plug them in to the
formulas.

There is one other math type problem on the tech exam.  There's
likely to be one question on your exam asking you about decibel
ratios.  You don't need to know how to calculate them for the tech
exam, and the scale is logarithmic if you even remember what that
means.  You only care about 3, 6, and 10 dB.  These respectively are
ratios of 2, 4, and 10 to 1.  That works up or down.  A 3 dB gain
means 5 watts in is like 10 watts out.  A 6 dB loss in really crappy
coax means that a 100 watt signal comes out as 25 watts, which is why
you really want to use the expensive coax on 70cm and above.  *grin*

Know your terms, know the rules, and take the practice tests often to
keep the material fresh in your head.  You WILL pass.

Joseph - KF7QZC