From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 07:33:42 -0500
"Bob, K8LR" writes:
> Howard,
>
> L E D tvs are actually lcd tvs that are back lit with l e ds instead of
> older light bulbs.  As L E Ds have gradually gotten brighter over the
> years,
> they have been able to replace older bulbs.  Also the L E Ds can be
> modulated to change the background to enhance the scenes on the screen.
> I'm
> writing this from listening and reading discussions of others as I can't
> see
> a tv screen, but it makes sense to me!

	Sorry to sound like a politician, but nobody here is
wrong however there is a little more to this.

	The holy grail in TV screens is a totally LED screen
in which there are tiny red, blue and green LED's for the pixels
with a trio of one red, one blue and one green for each pixel.

	There are a few such screens out there, but they are
expensive.

	The LCD screen is still the easiest and therefore
cheapest to manufacture right now but the times are changing
fast and we may see LED screens soon.

	There are LCD screens with white LED back lighting so
that blacks are really black and there are LCD screens with a
back light of white LED's that shine at the edges of a piece of
special plastic and thus back light the LCD with fewer LED's.

	I remember hearing that the Apple iPad contains a LED
screen but someone else at work told me it is just another LCD
with a LED back light.

	You also may start hearing about O-LED's or "organic
light emitting diodes." These are screens made of LED's that are
produced from organic compounds. These screens are already found
on some cell phones and are nice and bright but they don't last
as long as they would need to for a television or computer
monitor.

Martin WB5AGZ